ISID Open Positions
Position Title: Director of Disease Surveillance
Type of Position: Permanent, full-time
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: Boston, MA
Responsibilities: Oversee the development, implementation, and daily content and stakeholder management of ProMED and other related disease surveillance program activities
To apply please send your resume and cover letter to [email protected] by October 27, 2020.
The Program for Monitoring Emerging Diseases (ProMED) was launched in 1994 as an Internet service to identify unusual health events related to emerging and re-emerging infectious diseases and toxins affecting humans, animals, and plants. Since then, ProMED has expanded its reach and is the largest publicly available system conducting global reporting of infectious diseases outbreaks. It is used daily by international public health leaders, government officials, physicians, veterinarians, healthcare administrators, researchers, private companies, journalists, and the general public. All reports shared by ProMED have commentary from a multidisciplinary global team of subject matter expert (SME) moderators in a variety of fields including virology, parasitology, epidemiology, entomology, veterinary, and plant diseases. ProMED operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and has over 80,000 subscribers, representing nearly every country in the world. ProMED staff, moderators, and team are located across 32 countries and are constantly scanning for, reviewing, and posting information related to global health security. Over the last 25 years, ProMED has been the first to report on major and minor disease outbreaks including SARS in 2003, MERS in 2012, Ebola in 2014, the early spread of Zika, and the emergence of COVID-19. ProMED is an important and longstanding contributor to the global emerging and re-emerging infectious disease surveillance landscape.
ProMED administrators manage a diverse team of SMEs, each contributing unique viewpoints backed by their years of expertise in various disciplines across human, animal, and environmental health. Many of our SMEs reside in low- and middle-income countries (LMICs) as these regions are often the focal point of emerging and re-emerging infectious disease outbreaks.
ISID is seeking a Director of Disease Surveillance, who is knowledgeable about innovative and traditional disease surveillance, familiar with LMICs, can collaborate with and manage international stakeholders, and establish funding streams. The candidate must understand informatics and data management techniques with the ability to manage surveillance projects from beginning to end. This position requires a self-starter who has a passion for global public health and infectious disease epidemiology. The candidate must be able to work independently as well as a part of a team, and who takes the initiative to identify opportunities and respond to challenges directly. This position requires strong communications and organizational skills, and the ability to run multiple projects concurrently with international partners. Project management professional credentialing a plus.
The Director of Disease Surveillance will serve as the point person at ISID for all ProMED and surveillance activities and be responsible for the following tasks:
- Support the ISID’s Executive Director to successfully represent ProMED as a world leader in innovative disease surveillance.
- Lead the management of ISID’s emerging disease early-warning system, subscribers, and numerous other participants globally while providing informatics access to data on a continuous basis.
- Liaise with the ISID Executive Director to establish collaborative relationships with the ISID Executive Committee, Council, and Emerging Leaders.
- Foster program improvements and enhance the capacities of ProMED through education, partnership development, public communication, mentorship, stakeholder engagement, and international collaboration.
- Liaise with ISID Communication and Marketing staff to monitor and continually improve ProMED’s social media presence, website effectiveness, and mobile App usage.
- Serve as the point of contact and manager of all ProMED Moderators, Editor, Deputy Editor, Associate Editors, Copy Editor, Correspondents, and others representing ProMED.
- Contribute to content for ISID Communications from PROMED and related projects.
- Attend and represent ISID at key scientific meetings throughout the year to enhance and build stakeholder relationships; act as the forward-facing contact of ProMED.
- Actively collaborate with ISID’s Knowledge Exchange & E-learning Platform (IKEEP) staff to procure sustainable, unrestricted funds for ISID programmatic efforts.
- Collaborate with ISID Staff members to deliver mission critical services and work products, including IKEEP content, presentations, and documentation in response to funding, grant, and development opportunities for ISID core programs.
- Expand and oversee long standing partnerships, including those established by ISID with: Wellcome Trust, EcoHealth alliance, CRDF, the World Health Organization (WHO), Pfizer, Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Initiative (CEPI), Johns Hopkins, HealthMap, Monitoring Outbreak for Disease Surveillance (MOOD), Public Health England, John Snow International, and others.
- Advocate for the balance of minority and unrepresented populations, as well as those from the global networks, throughout ProMED’s programs and surveillance activities, speaking engagements, publications, and communications.
- Lead the implementation, operationalization, monitoring, and evaluation of new and existing projects to improve ISID’s informatics capabilities and footprint within the global innovative surveillance disease space.
- Independently Prepare project reports and summaries for funders and stakeholders or as requested by the Executive Director.
- Provide guidance on the maintenance of the ProMED website with the help of the ISID Information Technology staff and consultants.
- Lead efforts to recruit, hire, and train ProMED’s international staff of moderators and Associate Editors, copy editors, and other editorial staff.
- Assist with the planning and execution of ISID and ProMED congresses and meetings.
- Ability to travel internationally.
- Other duties as assigned.
Additional Skills & Qualifications