ISID is currently hiring for the following positions:
(last updated 08/13/21)
|Position Title||Senior Database Administrator (Sr. DBA)|
|Type of Position||Permanent, full-time|
|Responsibilities||Manage the maintenance, performance, and evolution of ISID’s critical databases located in a cloud environment.|
About the International Society of Infectious Diseases
The International Society for Infectious Diseases (ISID) is a non-profit organization with an unwavering commitment to infectious disease practitioners, scientists, and public health professionals working in resource-limited settings around the world. To support its many members, ISID organizes leading international congresses, offers open access infection control resources, and distributes grants to young investigators beginning their careers in the field of infectious diseases. Additionally, ISID operates the International Journal of Infectious Diseases and has organized infectious disease innovation marathons sparking novel solutions that address disease control challenges. The flagship program under ISID’s umbrella is the Program for Emerging Diseases (ProMED), an emerging diseases surveillance network that operates around the world. From this program, many projects have developed relying on the ProMED daily post data across a wide range of pathogens, countries, and species.
The Sr. Database Administrator will manage the maintenance, performance, and evolution of ISID’s critical databases located in a cloud environment. The Sr. DBA will understand the needs of end users including ISID members, partners, general public and other collaborating organizations. This position will be responsible for information technology requirements gathering, conceptualization of dataflow processes, and informatics stakeholder engagement. The Sr. DBA will provide insights on ISID’s IT strategic plan and provide updated reports to relevant committees and leadership team.
The Sr. DBA will serve as the point person for database administration within the larger information technology and informatics strategic plan and will be responsible for the following:
- Manage AWS relational database (MySQL backend), with an eye toward extensibility, growth, and other innovative data storage, retrieval and sharing (e.g. graphic database).
- Inform strategic insights on ISID’s technical growth with focus on data management, subscription services, and user APIs.
- Establish and ensure adherence to all ISID data governance policies and procedures including Disaster Recovery Plan, Acceptable Use Policy, and Data Sharing Agreements with partners, including approaches to data access, webscraping and user experience.
- Establish and support ProMED’s helpdesk standard operating procedures.
- Build data queries for export and data sharing usage for internal and external
- Drive new growth opportunities in collaboration with other lead ISID staff and ISID partners by identifying, prioritizing, developing, and launching new products, services and business models.
- Oversee compliance with user data protection regulations
- Maintain availability to travel domestically and internationally to conduct Society business and represent the organization
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director to contribute to the effectiveness, efficiency and growth of the organization
|Required Education||Computer Science, Informatics, Computational Science, Software Engineering, or similar Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s-level degree preferred)|
|Additional Skills & Qualifications||
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to [email protected]