A ProMED-mail post
ProMED-mail is a program of the
International Society for Infectious Diseases
Date: Sat 16 Nov 2019
From: Marjorie P. Pollack, MD, deputy editor, ProMED-mail
ProMED has been a leader in the field of innovative disease surveillance strategies to complement routine disease surveillance using non-traditional information sources to serve as an early warning for emerging and reemerging diseases. Our structure includes a cadre of expert moderators who find reports on events of interest and prepare reports with expert commentaries on these events to post to our website and social media channels as well as send via email to our 80 000 subscribers.
To enhance information within our African regional networks, we are looking for moderators based in Cote d'Ivoire, Nigeria, and Rwanda to work with us.
This part-time position with the Program for Monitoring Emerging Diseases (ProMED) of the International Society for Infectious Diseases (ISID) is entitled "ProMED moderator" and covers surveillance of human, animal, and/or plant diseases. The individual will join an international team of global health specialists reporting disease trends via innovative surveillance techniques. This individual must be a national and resident of Cote d'Ivoire, Nigeria, or Rwanda and will have a focus on health events in the African region for the ProMED African networks. The moderator will work closely with the other moderators and ProMED leadership.
These positions are grant funded (for one year) and will have a modest stipend. Renewal of these positions will depend on availability of funds.
Key responsibilities and duties
- Check email at least twice daily, morning and afternoon/evening Monday through Friday, and at least once a day during weekends and holidays.
- Actively and regularly search the internet -- including the World Wide Web, local media, disease outbreak sources of information (e.g., HealthMap), social media platforms, and relevant blogs -- for reports of outbreaks of emerging infectious diseases.
- Using an online dashboard tool, post relevant reports of events of interest in human/animal/plant health with appropriate commentary in a timely manner (less than 24 hours).
- Post a minimum of 10 posts per month. Reports should include short, knowledgeable, appropriate contextual commentaries with background information.
- Both post and respond to requests for information regarding disease outbreaks in your region.
- Translate reports from regional languages to English or French (Cote d'Ivoire) as needed and/or as requested by other members of the ProMED staff.
- Applicant must be a national and resident of Cote d'Ivoire, Nigeria, or Rwanda.
- Find relevant regional and national email lists and websites of universities and professional societies to which you can post an invitation to subscribe to ProMED.
- Assist in recruitment of new subscribers and outreach at local and regional professional conferences and meetings.
- Respond to requests from subscribers.
- Complete other tasks as assigned.
Inter- and intra-staff:
- Assist in training of new staff.
- Attend periodic meetings of ProMED staff.
- Set a regular schedule with the editor, deputy editor, or program manager and notify him/her in advance of any expected absence from moderation duties.
- Contact the ProMED editor and/or deputy editor with any questions or suggestions for improving ProMED.
- An advanced degree in the human or animal health field required (MD, MBBS, DVM, PhD in microbiology or similar field); additional advanced degree in a related field preferred (MPH or participation in an international Field Epidemiology Training Program) a plus.
- Five or more years of experience in human or animal infectious diseases, specifically in diagnosis, treatment, and/or research.
- A track record of achievement in an academic, governmental, or nongovernmental organization commensurate with career stage.
- Ability and interest in maintaining expertise in infectious diseases through continuing education.
- Email and World Wide Web proficiency and daily access.
- Ability to have uninterrupted internet access to support daily access. Familiarity with ProMED archives.
- Fluent in written and spoken English (Nigeria, Rwanda) and French (Cote d'Ivoire) and competent in written and spoken English (Cote d'Ivoire).
Interested individuals should forward a cover letter summarizing interests and qualifications along with a curriculum vitae with the subject line: ProMED African Infectious Disease Moderator, as soon as possible, to <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
Marjorie P. Pollack, MD